Friday, July 09, 2010

Aftermath: To forgive or not forgive?

I felt Jean Pridemore's comment brought up some interesting points that should not be tucked away in the comments section so I decided to post her comments for discussion:
From Jean Pridemore of Kentucky:

Comment 1:
How could you say you believe in Jesus Christ and persecute another Soldier in the war on sin? You mentioned "loving your brother as yourself, this is what we are commanded to do. So, why do you have a problem loving a man of God like your father-in-law? Where is the forgiveness that God has required us to give. God forgave you, so who are YOU not to forgive. God is much bigger than you and he was more than willing to forgive, so why can't you? It is not wise to try to destroy one of God's preachers or his church.
Why don't you quit this garbage and get right with God and your family. We are all suppose to be fighting together in this war on SIN.
Sincerely,
Jean Pridemore
from Kentucky



Comment 2:
How in the world could anyone stoop so low as to persecute and torment another human being let alone a man of God like Bro. XXXXX? You talk of believing the "love your neighbor as yourself". Where is the belief you speak of when you plainly stated how you felt about your father-in-law. You are holding grudges from years ago, the Bible speaks plainly on that subject too. You don't know the half of what this man has done for God and his fellow man. I have met this man and he NEVER ever said anything negetative about his family. Sounds like this is a one sided affair. I am sure this comment will not be posted for all to read but at least you have read it and hundreds of Christians that read your vile blog can comment to the misconceptions that you have stated. I pray that you and the others that contributed to this blog will get saved or if you have been saved, you will get your heart right with God and then make it right with the man you have so wronged.
Sincerely,
Jean Pridemore
from Kentucky



My response:
Jean it is about holding such men accountable. They honestly believe they are above reproach, that they have done nothing wrong. They continue the abuse and the hurt under the guise of "biblical principles" yet they can't or won't admit their wrong doing, or even worse they deny it.


As a parent I teach my children to go and apologize when they have done something wrong in order for reconcilation. Most parents often catch when the apology is less than genuine and we tell them to "mean it".
We are told in Matthew 18:15-17 to do the following:

"Moreover if thy brother shall trespass against thee, go and tell him his fault between thee and him alone: if he shall hear thee, thou hast gained thy brother.
[His daughter has called him and confronted him, he denied he did anything wrong and presented himself blameless, shifted the blame to her.]

"But if he will not hear thee, then take with thee one or two more, that in the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established."
[His daughter went to other family members, and other close friends. Most agreed, some decided to stay quiet/look the other way, some decided to speak up, some blamed the daughter --see the building frustration/trend?]

"And if he shall neglect to hear them, tell it unto the church: but if he neglect to hear the church, let him be unto thee as an heathen man and a publican."
[His daughter had enough of the torment and told the church, the problem is compounded by the fact the father is a church leader so it is expected that many will come to his defense blindly without knowing the truth. Some will ask why don't you go the Father-in-law's pastor. To my knowledge, he has none.]

Now here is the verse most Christians forget exists:
Luke 17:3
Take heed to yourselves: If thy brother trespass against thee, rebuke him; and if he repent, forgive him.

That's right "IF HE REPENT", My Father-In-Law has not.

Makes sense, if you think about it. If more Christians that offend were to "repent" and say "I'm sorry" to the person they have wronged then maybe they would stop no? Instead the victims are told to forgive the offending brother/sister even when the offender does not repent/apologize. If the victim finds it hard to forgive the offender then the victim is further blamed for not forgiving. (Here is the classic "Your just bitter" accusation followed by "repent of your bitterness". See the cycle Jean?)

This does a few things, first the victim gets no reconcilation and further withdraws/hurts, second the offender continues to offend because they think they have done nothing wrong. Now repeat this several dozen times and what do you have?

Also, why would He talk negative about his family? Let me re-phrase that, why would a preacher, who values the reputation of his ministry and family name talk negative about his family? That would hurt his ministry so the inclination is to not talk about it. And frankly I don't blame him for that.

It is easy to judge someone when we haven't walked in their shoes. I'm guilty of that and often have to stop myself. If you want to believe in my Father-In-Law that's fine. I wrote his name so folks can see that he is not perfect. That no preacher is perfect. I can say that all day on my blog but until someone sees a name it won't hit home. NO PREACHER IS ABOVE REPROACH. NO PREACHER IS ABOVE THE SPIRITUAL LAWS WE HOLD DEAR. Yes, continue to pray for him too, he needs it. I need it too. However, please refrain for praying for my death...I don't believe that is very Christian. :) My advice to you is to examine the church/preacher you have and make sure this doesn't happen to you.

God guide you and give us all peace.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really don't see how you can be accused of "persecuting" your father-in-law just by blogging. The attempt to silence someone is the antithesis of what our nation was built on....freedom of speech.

Jean from Kentucky said...

I tell my granddaughters often that two wrongs don't make a right. We don't have to wait for an apology to forgive someone.

If you are saved then your father-in-law is your brother in Christ. We are not suppose to talk bad about our brothers and sisters. This is pure gossip that I have read on your blog. The Bible also speaks plainly on that subject too. It seems to me all you want to do is tare down your father-in-law over a "piano". It is not your place to judge or tare down another person. You should think on all the good this man has done and all the souls he has lead to the Lord and now they don't have to go to Hell. I don't know anything about the "piano", only what I have read on your blog. I was always told that if you can't say anything good about someone, then I should not say anything at all. I was also taught to defend my fellow Christian brothers and sisters.
I know for a fact this man has suffered way more than anyone realizes over the loss of his precious wife.
What do you want from him, an apology? Would that really be enough for you? The sweetest words God ever said was "I forgive". Why can't you just forgive and move on with your life and let your father-in-law do the same. I noticed you put x's in the last name of the preacher in my post. I wish you could have done that in your own blogs.
I don't pray that God will kill you or that any harm will come to you or your family. I do pray that you will see the error of your ways and repent. God will forgive you. Your father-in-law will too.
Sincerely,
Jean Pridemore from
Kentucky

Jean from Kentucky said...

You can persecute your father-in-law by what you say in your blogging. Freedom of Speech is a good thing if you use it in the right way. If you are saying hurtful things about someone then we should be careful what we say. You never know who is reading this blog. Someone might be lost and on their way to hell and just happen on this blog. What would they think about this? Would they still want to be saved after reading this blog?
Sincerely,
Jean Pridemore
of Kentucky

Jean from Kentucky said...

By the way could you spell my last name correctly?
It should be Pridemore.
Thank you.